The Man They Said Would Start WWIII Just Brokered Peace With Iran

President Donald Trump announced Saturday that a peace deal with Iran is nearing completion — an interim agreement that would accomplish what every "expert" in Washington swore was impossible, especially with that maniac Trump at the helm.

Remember when they told us he'd start World War III? That he was too reckless, too unhinged, too orange to handle diplomacy? Meanwhile, Joe Biden couldn't negotiate his way out of a Waffle House parking lot, and Barack Obama's idea of an Iran deal was shipping them pallets of cash and hoping for the best.

Trump took to social media Saturday afternoon to announce that a memorandum of understanding with the Islamic Republic of Iran exists and that the details of the agreement would be released "in the coming hours or days." This comes on the heels of Operation Epic Fury, the military campaign that began on February 28 and apparently convinced Tehran that the "or else" part of Trump's diplomacy isn't a bluff.

Vice President JD Vance was in Ohio when the announcement dropped. Secretary of War Pete Hegseth — and yes, it's the War Department again, because we stopped pretending — was at West Point. The administration's heavy hitters were scattered across the country while their boss casually rewrote the geopolitical map from his phone.

According to Townhall's Joseph Chalfant, Trump had previously described the odds as "solid 50/50" between a deal and bombing — which is exactly the kind of negotiating posture that drives the foreign policy establishment absolutely insane. You can't say that! You'll provoke them! Turns out, when the other side knows you're perfectly happy with either option, they tend to pick the one that doesn't involve American ordnance.

The deal is being described as "interim," which the media will use to downplay it for the next six months. But let's be clear about what's happening here. Multiple administrations — Republican and Democrat — couldn't get this done. Obama gave away the store with the JCPOA and got nothing but a nuclear countdown in return. Trump walked away from that disaster in his first term, and now he's back with something that apparently doesn't involve paying Iran to pretend they'll behave.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has reportedly expressed concerns about the peace deal, per Axios. And honestly, that's fair — Israel has skin in the game that we can only imagine. But the fact that a deal is even on the table without Israel being sold down the river is itself a departure from the Obama playbook.

Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina has been watching this unfold, and the broader coalition involved is staggering — Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt, Jordan, and Bahrain are all part of the diplomatic picture. That's not a deal. That's a realignment.

The foreign policy blob spent four years telling us Trump was a danger to the world. The man just brokered a potential peace deal with a nation that's been chanting "Death to America" since 1979. But sure, tell me again how mean tweets are the real threat to global stability.


Most Popular

Most Popular